Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
The ref desk computer is now set to log you into the BarnardReference accounts on AOL, Google, and Yahoo automatically, when you go to the Meebo page from either Firefox or Internet Explorer.
If you want to log in from your remote computer instead and aren't sure how, ask me.
Thursday, January 11, 2007
We are now offering resume printing services in the Lehman Computer Lab.
You supply the paper. Bring the resume paper of your choice to the LCC.
We print the resume. We will print your resume using a local network printer that is not part of the NINJA printing system.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
- Title is again the default search.
- Two new forms of keyword truncation have been added: internal and left-hand truncation
labo?r retrieves labour, labor, labourer, etc.
?phobe retrieves technophobe, anglophobe, etc. (this can be slow)
- holdings keyword searching. This doesn't work fabulously well (see below), so we're just playing around with it at the moment: but you can use a holdings key code: "hkey" to search any part of the holdings record: so hkey comp retrieves everything in the Moral & Political Philosophy Reading Room and hkey comp skey aesthetics would retrieve everything there with aesthetics in the subject heading. This hkey search will find terms in the location (using the brief location code), call number, and holdings notes.
The problem: This search only works with location keywords having fewer than 10,000 hits. So searching for hkey mil and skey women will give you wildly inaccurate results. For that, you're better off using the OPAC location limits, or using the limits in the cataloging module.
- subject headings display in the list with dashes between parts of the heading (this does not affect searching: entering searches without the dashes still works fine)
- the Keyword with Relevance search is now configurable and we've set it so that all terms entered are searched with a default "and." This should make the search more useful, and we'll be looking at whether it should be given greater prominence in the search types list.
- Some bugs have been fixed:
- it is again possible to email records containing accents and diacritics without losing the field that contained the accent.
- contents notes are no longer jammed together, with no punctuation between each item, and are now displayed as a list
As you play around with these new features, please send us your comments and suggestions (email@example.com). These are getting a "soft" opening: the help screens and other information will be up by the time classes begin. A spotlight should be up later today.
CLIO OPAC Subcommittee
Gary Bertchume, Marina Chilov, Lois Coleman, Ria Koopmans-de Bruijn, Russell Merritt, Jill Parchuck, Sarah Witte (chair)
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
The password for the account is the same as for refdesk, but it ends in 07 instead of the other number. If someone wants to sign onto the account when I'm not here, that would be swell.
For Barnard purposes, I think we should continue to give out our BarnardLibName addresses.